Allows users access to the full Merriam Webster dictionary
Merriam Webster has long been considered one of the leading names in reference books, particularly dictionaries. Now, technology has made it possible for all of us to carry the most-trusted dictionary in the world around in our pockets with the Merriam-Webster Dictionary app.
Millions of people look to Merriam-Webster Dictionary for the most accurate definitions of English words, and this app makes it even easier for all people to access the information they need. One especially helpful aspect of this mobile version of the dictionary is the audible pronunciation tool, which allows users to actually someone speak the word they are researching.
Whether you are in the process of learning English or you are a native speaker who enjoys learning new words, you are sure to find the Merriam-Webster Dictionary app extremely useful. For those who are interested in the way in which the English language developed, the app also includes a history of the vocabulary spoken by an estimated 1.5 billion people worldwide.
To better help the user understand the meaning of words and the contexts in which they should be used, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary also includes such helpful extras as example sentences, synonyms, and etymologies for each of its entries. Other features include the ability to search for words by speaking them into the device and bookmark favorite words that you may have a need to revisit in the future.
- Offers comprehensive list of words in English language.
- Includes definitions, pronunciations, example sentences, and etymologies.
- User can speak word into device to initiate a search.
- Favorite words may be bookmarked for future use.
- Ads regularly appear while app is running.
- Some complain about the size of the app and the speed with which it works.
Bug fixes and stability improvements
Potentially dangerous permissions
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.